As of September 1, 2021, the State of Texas and Texas Department of Agriculture will no longer require licensing of aquaculture facilities. Please contact the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) for issues relating to wastewater discharge. Aquaculture facilities must still abide by the statutes set forth in Chapter 134 of the Agriculture Code, which includes special provisions for shrimp production in the coastal zone, record-keeping requirements, and provisions related to exotic species aquaculture. The contact at Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) for Exotic Species Permits is IFpermits@tpwd.texas.gov

 The Texas Department of Agriculture coordinates the licensing of aquaculture facilities and vehicles transporting (live) cultured species, in partnership with the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department and the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality.

Who needs to be licensed?

Aquaculture Facility
    A business that produces and sells cultured species raised in a private facility 
    must obtain an aquaculture license from TDA.

      Apply for a general aquaculture business license Instructions
      Change the facility information on a license Instructions

Aquaculture Fish Farm Vehicle
    If you plan to transport and sell farmed fish or shellfish from your vehicle, you must obtain a license for it. 
    You must keep a copy of this license in the vehicle.

    * If you have an aquaculture license, you are not required to have a fish farm vehicle license, 
       but you are required to keep a copy of your aquaculture license in all delivery vehicles.

      Apply for a fish farm vehicle license Instructions
      Add additional vehicles to a license Instructions
      Change vehicle information on a license Instructions
      Cancel a vehicle license Instructions 
FAQs - Click on the question below to view the answer