Deadline: Closed - applications submitted in March 2015 are being reviewed
Availability: Twice a year (spring and fall)
Pursuant to the Texas Agriculture Code, Section 58.091, the Texas Department of Agriculture (TDA) administers the Young Farmer Grant program (YFGP). The YFGP is administered by TDA under the direction of the Texas Agricultural Finance Authority (TAFA). The purpose of this program is to provide financial assistance in the form of dollar-for-dollar matching grant funds to young agricultural producers that are engaged or will be engaged in creating or expanding an agricultural business in Texas.
TAFA’s Young Farmer Grant Program aims to:
- Grow and support Texas agriculture - so as not to have to ship products from other states, including deficit commodities
- Help meet a financial need that is otherwise not met
- Help grow an operation that also impacts the community
Who can apply?
Grant applications will be accepted from any person who is at least 18 years of age but younger than 46 years of age at the time of grant award and engaged in creating or expanding agriculture in Texas. The applicant must be able to make dollar-for-dollar matching expenditures to sustain, create or expand the project.
- Grant awards range from $5,000 to $10,000
- Grant program offered twice per year
- Grant funds may not be used toward capital purchases that exceed $5,000
- Applicant must be able to make dollar-for-dollar matching expenditures
- Grant funds will be award on a cost reimbursement basis
- Costs must be within the term of the grant award